Starting minimum $20.00 per hour and commensurate with experience.
The Outlet Department Leader supervises hourly Associates in his/her area of responsibility in the facility. The Department Leader works with his/her Site Leader, the facility leadership team, and external resources to achieve facility operational objectives that support the annual operating plan (aka Budget) and PDR Scorecard objectives and requirements. He or she makes decisions involving customers, suppliers, team members, operational issues, business planning, priority-setting, creating staff schedules, team member performance appraisals, compliance with company policies, and all areas of the business.
This position demonstrates behaviors consistent with our Mission, Vision and Values, on behalf of Goodwill of Central & Southern Indiana.
Leadership roles require availability and flexibility within the site’s hours of operation. Below are the hours of operation for Outlets:
6 a.m. to 10 p.m. Monday through Saturday
10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Sunday
**Note: Leadership schedule expectations are subject to change.
The Outlet Department Leader position manages operations in the following areas:
- Warehouse operation supporting multiple Goodwill Stores in a regional layout.
- Retail Sales operation where most items are sold by the pound.
- Secondary market sales (and management of processing equipment) for commodities like plastic, cardboard, electronics components, etc.
- eCommerce Sales - Selection of books, media, and collectibles to feed a centralized eCommerce Posting and Fulfillment Center in Indianapolis.
Dedicates 80% of time to operations (Safety/Financial/Productivity/Customer):
- Monitors daily operations and performance. Proactively addresses and follows up with all operational concerns.
- Understands and manages leading indicators to ensure lagging indicators are met. Advises Site Leader on significant trends and variances. Develops and implements action plans once approved on-time and meeting quality of work expectations.
- Examines applicable marketplace and customer metrics to identify trends, opportunities, and threats. Develops and implements (with Site Leader approval) plans to grow and protect the business based on analysis.
- Understands, forecasts and manages sales, controllable expenses and site needs (within budgets unless Site Leader approval is obtained to deviate with a strong business case), in a way that ensures Operating Income expectations are met.
- Utilizes reports to identify opportunities for improvement and implement solutions within site.
- Ensures critical internal and external customer-supplier connections (e.g. to Stores, the Click facility, the Transportation Team, Facilities, etc.) are identified, understood, and managed in a way that ensures customer needs are being met and flow is balanced. Where connections are not healthy, countermeasures and rapidly implemented and root causes are eliminated where practical.
- Ensures a system of hazard (or problem) identification and elimination is maintained that is focused on hazards to achievement of operational goals and objectives.
- Drives improvement in sales and operating margins through sales growth initiatives, productivity improvements, and expense reduction initiatives.
- Ensures all site-specific supplies are on hand for daily business operation and processes/systems are in place and being maintained.
- Appearance/Housekeeping: Ensures department meets acceptable standards.
- Demonstrates strong department safety program leadership through hazard elimination, audits, enforcement of facility expectations, and strong safety training and awareness programs. Ensures compliance with OSHA expectations.
- Creates and maintains a positive atmosphere of encouragement, motivation, and high morale within the department.
- Ensures department maintains staffing levels required to achieve facility’s budget (unless Site Leader approval is obtained to do otherwise).
- Ensures daily department goals/objectives are met (and fills-in for Associates as needed).
- Provides coaching and training to hourly employees.
- Supports the hourly associate recruitment and onboarding process as required by the Site Leader.
- Drives Accountability inside the department by holding Associates accountable to meet performance expectations (in all areas that performance is measured) and supports peers in doing the same across the Site.
Dedicates 20% of time to staff management and development:
- Responsible for department Associates, including both full-time and part-time employees.
- Ensures all Associates are provided and have completed all trainings required to perform their jobs, and the training is completed appropriately (prior to starting their jobs). Ensures training processes and systems are maintained and continuously improved to enable goal achievement in a high-attrition environment.
- Actively identifies and eliminates or countermeasures barriers to goal attainment.
- Manages a diverse workforce in a principle-based environment.
- Maintains a positive culture of open professional communication, immediate resolution of issues, and healthy confrontation.
- Plans, organizes, and directs all activities of department associates including training and developing, maintaining accountability, motivating, monitoring productivity, communicating, and managing performance. Also works closely with them to remove any significant work barriers.
- Ensures employee performance feedback is provided in a timely manner, and all required performance reviews are completed on time.
- Seeks out opportunities for professional development for both self and department associates.