The Assistant Supervisor directs and coordinates activities of the production department in processing materials or manufacturing products in an industrial organization by performing personally or through the Group Leaders. Coordinates daily production activities to meet safety, quality, output and on-time delivery targets. Uses data and continuous improvement tools to resolve internal and external corrective actions and drive process improvement. Manages 2-4 subordinate Line Leaders who supervise a total of 100 hourly employees. Responsibilities include planning, assigning, and directing work; interviewing, hiring, and training employees; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems. Contributes as a key member of the management team. Demonstrates behaviors consistent with Goodwill’s Mission, Vision, Values, 5 Basic Principles and Standards of Conduct.
- Reviews production orders or schedules to ascertain product data such as types, quantities, and specifications of products and scheduled delivery dates in order to plan department operations.
- Create efficiencies with individual customers through communication and understanding of deliverables.
- Prepares labor schedules, establishes priorities and coordinates manufacturing activities to ensure effective, efficient labor utilization to meet production schedules. Maintains awareness through communication with Line Leaders of the status of schedules and takes direct action when needed to resolve and/or prevent any delays.
- Supervises departmental personnel, utilizing lean management techniques, such as 5S with a continual focus on waste minimization / elimination though the development and use of quality knowledge, adherence to quality requirements and identifying / correcting operator related scrap generation. Conducts regular reviews of operator scrap generation, determines root cause and corrective action and establishes goals for improvement.
- Monitors and implements job methods and procedures in accordance with lean principles. Coordinates efforts with Group Leaders. Manages and utilizes systems to track continuous improvement project implementation and status.
- Performs informal and formal performance reviews, offering praise for good performance and providing improvement goals and corrective actions for substandard performance through coaching, counseling and individual continual feedback. Motivates team members to gain and maintain their dedication to meeting individual and departmental objectives.
- Administers cross-training program for all employees, monitoring for skills and knowledge deficiencies; takes remedial action to provide the necessary training for all team members to reach and maintain the required performance level.
- Creates preventative actions to meet specific safety goals of cost per employee, zero lost time accidents per year and conducts regularly scheduled safety audits.
- Ensures compliance with safety and environmental rules and regulations. Maintains work area in a safe manner and ensures compliance to 5S program. Holds regular safety meetings and uses problem-solving techniques to determine root cause safety issues and enforce solid corrective action. Assures compliance of employees to all state and federal regulations.
- Leads safety and compliance for the department.
- Investigates and analyzes work related injuries / illnesses. Works closely with Group Leaders to prevent accidents and eliminate causes contributing to lost time and worker's compensation costs.
- Inspects and performs routine maintenance on machines and equipment to ensure specific operational performance and optimum utilization.
- Reviews production and operating reports and resolves operational, manufacturing, and maintenance problems to ensure minimum costs and prevent operational delays.
- Compiles, stores, and retrieves production data.
- Leads daily production meetings in plant, creates and publishes daily/weekly/monthly metrics.
- Assists with 3rd party audits, including ISO 9000 and source inspections.
- Participates and contributes on special projects and continuous improvement projects.
- Management Review Team participant.
- Participates in or may lead the plant Safety Team.
- Other duties may be assigned.