A signing bonus of $750 will be paid at 90 days of employment.
Under direct supervision, the successful Teaching Assistant assists Lead Teachers with establishing and maintaining a safe, healthy, nurturing, and educational environment: assisting with the planning and implementation of daily classroom activities in accordance with program philosophy and guidelines; assisting with the training and mentoring of new staff; supervising children in the absence of Lead Teacher. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function below satisfactorily.
- Represent Goodwill in a positive, pleasant manner by providing excellent customer service at all times. Serve as role model and adhere to Agency guidelines. Handle requests and concerns in a friendly, fair and impartial manner. Support the organization’s mission, vision, and values.
- Assist in establishing and maintaining a safe, healthy, nurturing, and educational classroom environment to facilitate growth and development and promote self-esteem; assist with maintaining child to adult ratio per state licensing requirements; supervise children in the absence of Lead Teacher; use developmentally appropriate practices when working with children directly.
- Assist with preparation of weekly lesson plans using Creative Curriculum; assist with implementation of plans upon approval; assist with observing and assessing children; assist with documenting observations about each child’s development; share appropriate information to ensure each child’s continuity of care.
- Assist with maintaining parent communication through parent projects, newsletters, weekly notes, daily notes, and telephone calls; assist with parent-teacher conferences as needed.
- Ensure that all paperwork is completed in an accurate and timely manner; ensure classroom binders (attendance and child records) are current; ensure CACFP attendance records and meal counts are recorded at the point of service; maintain confidentiality of information related to children and their families, operations, financial matters and personnel issues.
- Ensure safety and security of facilities and Goodwill of Central and Southern Indiana assets; effectively handle workplace incidents by obtaining appropriate medical treatment for injured children, parents and employees; report known or suspected safety and loss prevention problems promptly and according to procedure.
- Ensure all work and play areas, including toys and other objects that children use, are kept clean and free of clutter; maintain supplies, equipment, and materials in a responsible manner; ensure the order of arrangement, appearance, décor, and learning environment of the center.
- Assist with the orientation and mentoring of new employees, trainees, and volunteers.
- Administer prescription medications that are supplied by parents when parents have provided a copy of the prescription, signed a written consent and a waiver form, and have documented exact times and dosage for medication to be administered to their child; provide minor, minimally invasive procedures (i.e. catheterization, etc.) as required when parents have provided the materials, signed a written consent and a waiver form, and have documented exact or applicable times procedures should be administered.
- Attend and participate in regular child care meetings and training sessions as scheduled.
- Cooperatively participate in shared responsibilities; assist with backup coverage and perform other related duties as assigned, requested or required.