The Assistant Controller plays an integral role in the accounting department. Responsibilities include supervision of staff; processing, reviewing and analyzing accounting transactions; optimization and support of Dynamics D365; review and process improvement of all internal accounting controls and processes; direct oversight of efficient and accurate month-end closing; coordinating audit and tax preparation; conducting technical accounting research, and other duties as assigned. The Assistant Controller will serve as a liaison to the IT department as one of the lead user representatives on technology system issues. This role demonstrates behaviors consistent with our Mission, Vision and Values, on behalf of Goodwill of Central & Southern Indiana.
- Learn all accounting systems, including D365, SK Global, Adaptive, and Leasequery.
- Obtain cross-training in the accounting department to understand staff roles and provide backup support.
- Analyze all internal accounting controls and processes. Provide control and process improvement recommendations.
- Ensure timely month end closing and shorten the monthly closing cycle time for Goodwill.
- Direct supervision of staff and management of certain daily accounting department operations.
- Maintain and cultivate collaborative working relationships with key stakeholders who represent the divisions of Goodwill.
- Understand the accounting processes, people, systems, and culture.
- Ensure timely completion of and review certain account reconciliations.
- Observe department to identify and eliminate redundancies to create efficiencies.
- Assist operational and support departments with projects as needed, including software implementations.
- Perform informal and formal performance reviews, offering praise for good performance and providing improvement goals and corrective actions for substandard performance through coaching, counseling and individual continual feedback. Motivate team members to gain and maintain their dedication to meeting individual and departmental objectives.