The teacher will serve as a member of the instructional team, facilitating learning for high school students in a “best fit” environment for teenagers with significant barriers to education.
The teacher will be a member of a turnaround school community and will aid in developing a new educational model to complement the acclaimed barrier removal work Goodwill of Central and Southern Indiana does at The Excel Centers, Nurse Family Partnership, and other award-winning programs.
School priorities include:
- High rigor, high support instruction to close academic gaps and prepare students for post-secondary opportunities
- Trauma-informed social emotional learning
- Student and family empowerment through coordination with a robust Student Services team of coaches, counselors, and more.
This role demonstrates behaviors consistent with our Mission, Vision and Values, on behalf of Goodwill of Central & Southern Indiana.
- Facilitate standards-aligned, research-based instructional plans using a combination of school-provided and teacher-created materials, with an emphasis on disciplinary literacy and science process standards.
- Assess and respond to evidence of student learning to differentiate and provide support for learners at a variety of levels.
- Engage in frequent instructional coaching and professional learning community collaboration to improve student learning.
- Foster a structured and supportive classroom environment that is consistent with school agreements, trauma-informed, and provides students with frequent feedback to support their social emotional development.
- Build relationships with students and their webs of support. Communicate strengths and challenges frequently and use restorative approaches to resolve conflict.
- Collaborate with colleagues to refer and connect students to wraparound supports including Family Empowerment Coaching for internal and community resources, Social Emotional Learning, Special Education, and more.
- Participate in school cultural initiatives including facilitating an advisory class focused on an elective topic.
- Support the school community by attending extracurricular events such as athletic contests and family nights.
- Other duties as assigned.