The eCommerce Department Leader supervises hourly Associates in his/her area of responsibility in the facility. The Department Leader works with his/her Area Leader, the facility leadership team, and external resources to achieve facility operational objectives that support the annual operating plan (aka Budget). He or she makes decisions involving customers, suppliers, team members, operational issues, business planning, priority-setting, creating staff schedules, team member performance appraisals, compliance with company policies, and all areas of the business.
This position supports and drives Goodwill’s mission to help people in Central & Southern Indiana prepare for, find and keep jobs, and the position demonstrates behaviors consistent with our Mission, Vision and Values, on behalf of Goodwill of Central & Southern Indiana.
Leadership roles require availability and flexibility within the site’s hours of operation. Below are the hours of operation for eCommerce:
7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Friday
7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Saturday
**Notes: 1) Leadership is expected in at 6:30 a.m. to prepare for the 7 a.m. start of shift for associates; 2) Hours of operation are subject to change.
Dedicates 80% of time to operations (Safety/Financial/Productivity/Customer):
- Monitors daily operations and performance. Proactively addresses and follows up with all operational concerns.
- Understands and manages leading indicators to ensure lagging indicators are met. Advises Area Manager on significant trends and variances. Develops and implements action plans once approved.
- Examines applicable marketplace metrics to identify trends, opportunities, and threats. Develops and implements (with Area Manager approval) plans to grow and protect the business based on analysis.
- Proactively forecasts sales and site needs within budgets which would include the management of payroll, supplies, and professional fees budgets where applicable.
- Utilizes reports to identify opportunities for improvement and implement solutions within site.
- Ensures critical internal and external (to site [like Retail Stores] and to Goodwill) customer-supplier connections are identified, understood, and managed in a way that ensures customer needs are being met and flow is balanced. Where connections are not healthy, countermeasures and rapidly implemented and root causes are eliminated where practical.
- Ensures a system of hazard (or problem) identification and elimination is maintained that is focused on hazards to achievement of operational goals and objectives.
- Drives improvement in sales and operating margins through sales growth initiatives, productivity improvements, and expense reduction initiatives.
- Ensures all site-specific supplies are on hand for daily business operation and processes/systems are in place and being maintained.
- Appearance/Housekeeping: Ensures department meets acceptable standards.
- Demonstrates strong department safety program leadership through hazard elimination, audits, enforcement of facility expectations, and strong safety training and awareness programs. Ensures compliance with OSHA expectations.
- Creates and maintains a positive atmosphere of encouragement, motivation, and high morale within the department.
- Ensures department maintains staffing levels required to achieve facility’s budget.
- Ensures daily department goals/objectives are met (and fills-in for Associates as needed).
- Provides coaching and training to hourly employees.
- Involved in hourly associate recruitment process including pre-screening and interviewing candidates as needed.
Dedicates 20% of time to staff management and development:
- Responsible for department Associates, including both full-time and part-time employees. Note: employee mix could include virtual employees.
- Ensures all Associates are provided and have completed all trainings required to perform their jobs, and the training is completed appropriately. Ensures training processes and systems are maintained and continuously improved to enable goal achievement in a high-attrition environment.
- Actively identifies and eliminates or countermeasures barriers to goal attainment.
- Manages a diverse workforce in a principle-based environment.
- Maintains a positive culture of open professional communication, immediate resolution of issues, and healthy confrontation.
- Plans, organizes, and directs all activities of department associates including recruiting, training and developing, maintaining accountability, motivating, monitoring productivity, communicating, and managing performance. Also works closely with them to remove any significant work barriers.
- Ensures employee performance feedback is provided in a timely manner, and all required performance reviews are completed on time.
- Seeks out opportunities for professional development for both self and department associates.