As the College and Career Readiness Specialist (CCR Specialist) you will build relationships, systems, and programs to ensure that each student at The Excel Center graduates with a realistic career plan that is connected to postsecondary employment and education. You will provide direct advising and case management services for students as they near graduation and will be instrumental in the implementation of a comprehensive foundational career-development program, which will allow for intentional advisement of students on academic diploma tracks and enrollment in industry-recognized certification courses and/or in dual-credit course attainment . As the CCR Specialist , you will develop and maintain an industry–based network of community partners, along with close-knit working relationships with local college and university staff, departments, and enrollment protocol. The work of the CCR Specialist is to assure that our graduates are supported in a viable pathway into a career and/or college placement, prepared with the skills, resources, and support to actualize their postsecondary plan.
Your work will entail facilitating the student path, from enrollment through graduation, to successful transition into work and/or college engagement, and following up with Excel Center graduates/alumni to assure sustained success along their career pathways. This role demonstrates behaviors consistent with our Mission, Vision and Values, on behalf of Goodwill of Central & Southern Indiana.
- As directed, lead the school culture toward development and design of career pathways for targeted industry driven programs with sequential options including dual enrollment, non-credit and credit certificate programs.
- Work with the College and Career Readiness Center staff and industry advisory networks to develop more student exposure to the world of work, including on-the-job opportunities, internships or job shadowing and other experiential learning for career pathways.
- Make sound recommendations to the School Director on student placement into internships and job opportunities.
- Develop innovative, career-focused marketing and recruitment strategy for promoting career pathway opportunities to students.
- Conduct, gather and coordinate the development of research and performance measures for credential completion, educational attainment and efforts that bridge educational systems for career path employment.
- Demonstrate a culture of innovation and responsiveness to meet the current workforce development needs of students and businesses.
- Align job training and education programs to jobs that are in demand or likely to grow in the immediate future in the local market.
- Research, gather and report current labor market and demographic information examining the current education and workforce system for gaps and alignments.
- Attend and participate in meetings of key stakeholders in education and training, workforce and economic development to develop and strengthen information and resources related to the creation of career pathways.
- Oversee and support students in all certification and dual credit classes they attend.
- Provide one-on-one support to students throughout the college preparation process (which includes but is not limited to college search, application, and transition process). Understand and explain the college admissions process to Excel Center and Indy Met students.
- Conduct workshops on essay writing, interviewing skills, financial aid, resume writing, etc.
- Coordinate college preparation testing for all students (ACT, SAT, and/or COMPASS).
- Provide information on college fairs, campus visits, scholarships, etc. to current students, teachers and alumni.
- Seek out internship, apprenticeship, scholarships and career opportunities for Excel Center and alums.
- Build relationships and partner with college admission counselors to create open lines of communication and sharing of information.
- Plan and Organize and/or teach graduate seminars, focusing on College and Career Readiness/Senior Seminar every 8 week term, to prepare students for graduation and success in postsecondary endeavors.
- Provide developmentally-oriented career and academic advisement through in-class instruction and personal counseling sessions.
- Coordinate student use of and activities related to computerized guidance information systems and career assessment instruments.
- Serve as a liaison between the school and the community.
- Create and maintain outreach efforts to Excel Center alums. Stay in contact with and track graduated students as they pursue their post-secondary options in order to maintain up to date employment, career and college attainment.
- Collaborate with other Career Pathway Specialists in The Excel Center Network to share best practices.
- Collaborate with other College and Career Readiness Specialists in The Excel Center Network to share best practices.
- Provide additional services at the request of the School Director.